Music, etc.

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

NIP/TUCK Finale


For the most part, this season of "Nip/Tuck" has been a complete mess. The storylines, which did build up at all, like they usually do, revolved around a completly ridiculous concept, once again involving villian Escobar Gallardo. He seems to be the wirter's scapegoat when they cannot think of anything more creative.

The finale, which aired last night, completly redeemed the entire season. All of the horrible sotrylines and characters (Michelle, Escobar, Juila) are all gone for next season. On top of that, they have moved from Miami to Hollywood, a move that could just save the show from the gutter it was headed for. I think it was the writers' way of saying, "You had to put up with all this crap this season, here is a gift."

"Nip/Tuck" has been one of two reasons for me to turn on the television recently (the other being the completely amazing Dexter). I really feared that after this season, the show that I called my favorite for years now was going to become a complete mess, but episodes like last night really remind me why I'm a fan in the first place.

"Nip/Tuck" episodes always have a few great tracks to back-up a few scenes. Last night, my favorite scene, a complete ode to Magnolia, found the characters singing along to "Brighter Discontent" by the Submarines. This marked the third appearence of Submarines in the finale alone. It was just one of those classic scenes where I had no idea why it was left in (maybe Ryan Murphy is just a huge Magnolia fan?) but I was completely happy that it was.

The track comes from the Submarines release this year, "Decalre a New State." Personally, I am not familiar with the album, but this track is pretty good. Anything that can aide in the revamping of a great show is alright in my book.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home