Music, etc.

Saturday, September 30, 2006

9.25.06


This was probably the most anticipated event in my entire life. You only get to see your favorite band for the first time once, so I was especially looking forward to this. All these years being a Lips fan and hearing all these absurd things about their concert, it was finally my chance to experience it first hand.

I arrived at Hammerstein Ballroom at 4:30 and was excited to see I was about 20th in line. Two hours passed as I munched down my bag lunch and then it was finally time to enter the Ballrom. I had never even been to the venue, so I was really excited to see that it seemed like a cool place. I was standing in the second row, which is the closest I've ever been at a concert.

A few hours later, Danielson took the stage. They were pretty good. The entire family was there, so it was possible to pull of most songs on the new album. The live rendition of 'Did I step on Your Trumpet?' was fantastic. By the end of their preformance, the place was filled with Lips fans anxious for the show to begin. Wayne got suited up in his ball and the music began. Standing to the left of the stage, I was one of the first people to hold Wayne up. In doing so, however, I was hurled back about 4 rows, but I didn't give a shit, I was already having the time of my life.

When Wanye finally got back to the stage, Race for the Prize began to blast throughout the building and the ballons and confetti began to fall. There was such a sense of community during this song and throughout the entire show. Everyone was singing along and having a great time. They played the ususal rounds with The WAND, The Yeah Yeah Yeah song (which had a killer sing along session), Vein of Stars, Do You Realize??, Yoshimi and She Don't Use Jelly (these two also had sing along sessions also).

I was surprised to hear my favorite track off of Yoshimi, In the Morning of the Magicians, as well as my favorite Bulletin track, A Spoonful Weighs a Ton. I was shocked, just shocked, to hear the old 'Ode to C.C. (Part 2)' thrown into the mix. Steven just started playing it and to the audiences amazement, Wayne sung it. It was truely a beautiful moment.

The night before at Hammerstein, there was a laser light spectacle. This night, however, the folks at Hammerstein told Wayne not to do it. "Take it from me, last night I was shot in the eyes all night with those lasers and nothing about me is different tonight. However, we must be respectful of the orders." These parts of the show, where Wayne addressed the audience, was just as good as when the music was playing. He is just the most normal, regular guy in rock music today.

After a lenghty story about hope and struggle, the Lips ended with something I would not have expected in a million years, especially since I didn't read the setlist from the night before. Steven turns to Wayne and says "Sing this one real beautifuly" and Wayne began 'Autopsy of the Devil's Brain (You've got to be Joking)' off of my favortie Lips album, Hit to Death in the Futurehead.

The night was amazing in every single way. I doubt that there will ever be another concert that affects me so much. I am still feeling it a week later.

I still haven't found this show on the web yet, but here is Race for the Prize, Ode to C.C. and Autopsy, studio versions...







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home